What will happen if I crashed into unlicensed driver who borrowed his friend’s car?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I crashed into unlicensed driver who borrowed his friend’s car?

I crashed into unlicensed driver who borrowed his friend’s car. The police determined he was not at fault, I was. Both cars are insured, however I assume both insurance companies will deny coverage because the driver was unlicensed and therefore not included on the owner’s insurance policy.

Am I liable to pay in such a case?

The car is worth 1000 or less. Can/will the owner of the car sue me, and for how much money?

Asked on September 16, 2016 under Accident Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Since you were at fault in the accident, the fact that the other driver was unlicensed does not alter that conclusion.
The registered owner of that vehicle can file a property damage claim with your insurance company.  Property damage is the cost of repairs or if the vehicle was totalled because the amount of damage exceeds the value of the vehicle, the registered owner could recover the value of the vehicle.
If the case is NOT settled with your insurance company, the registered owner could file a lawsuit against you for negligence.  Given the value of the vehicle, the case could be filed in Small Claims Court.  The amount of damages (monetary compensation) the registered owner is seeking in a potential lawsuit against you would be the cost of repairs or the loss of the vehicle if it was totalled.
I assume that there weren't any injuries in the accident since you did not mention it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption