If I co-signed my parents mortgage about 5 years ago but my mom lost her job and started missing payments, how can I best protect myself?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I co-signed my parents mortgage about 5 years ago but my mom lost her job and started missing payments, how can I best protect myself?

Due to this, my credit started to take a hit. I am considering filing Chapter 7 because my parents aren’t willing to sell the house for the next 2 years and I don’t want any further damage to my credit. I want to confirm that if I file for bankruptcy my name will still be on the mortgage, but if they miss payments and a foreclosure ensues, the bank cannot come after me since my debts were forgiven. Is this the best route to go if they are not willing to sell the house?

Asked on January 30, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, Connecticut


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There is nothing you could do that is more damaging to your credit than filing for bankruptcy.  Plus the mortgage to your parents' house is a debt of yours that will be swept up into the bankruptcy.  You may very well not even qualify for bankruptcy, but if you do, it would be the worst possible thing for your credit and your parents.  The best thing you can do to protect your credit is to make your parents' house payment until they get back on their feet.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption