I cosigned a loan for a trailer for my sister, she is now in default. What are my options? We live in the state of KY.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I cosigned a loan for a trailer for my sister, she is now in default. What are my options? We live in the state of KY.

Is there anyway I can evict her and then catch the payments up myself and then use this as rental property.

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Business Law, Kentucky


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You co-signed a loan -- you are now the surety -- so the bank/lender can come after you for the money, too.  You just basically may have effected your credit. Your options are to pay the loan and arrange some sort of loan with your sister to have her pay you back, ask the lender to place you on the loan only (minimal chance), ask for a modification of the loan (your sister needs to do this), perhaps a deed in lieu (let go of the title), etc.

The deed in lieu will impact your credit. 

At this point, you need to consider your options.  Try contact the Kentucky Dept of Financial Institutions and see if any communication can be started with you, your sister and the lender. http://www.kfi.ky.gov/

Has your sister been contemplating bankruptcy? If so, would this be part of the bankruptcy? Again, consider the implications it will/could have on you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption