If co-signed on a loan for my daughter’s motorcycle and now have to file for bankruptcy, will she lose it?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If co-signed on a loan for my daughter’s motorcycle and now have to file for bankruptcy, will she lose it?

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As a general matter, no--as long as the payments are made in full on time, per the financing agreement/loan, the lender should have no cause to repossess the motorcycle. The key issue for lenders in cases like this is just whether or not they are getting their payments.

To be certain, however, you should double check the financing agreement(s)--if the agreement contains a clause, term, or provision stating that the borrower will be deemed to be in default in the event she or a co-signor declares bankruptcy, that provision is enforceable; in that event, they could repossess, though are obligated to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption