If I co-signed for a car, can the other co-signer’s name be taken off the title due to my paying it off?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I co-signed for a car, can the other co-signer’s name be taken off the title due to my paying it off?

I ended up making payments and paying for insurance. I took the car and paid it off because I could not afford to make the payments. The car is titled is still in both names and I pay the insurance on it. I recently paid $ 1300 to get it fixed and inspected, plus reregistered.

Asked on December 11, 2015 under Business Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot: title is separate from who pays for a vehicle--for instance, many romantic or domestic partners, or parents and children, jointly own (are both on the title) even though only one of them pays. You chose to pay it off when you did not have to; your choice doesn't let you take your co-owner's name off. Things would be different if there had been an agreement between you that if you did pay it off, you'd end up owning it; such an agreement would have been enforceable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption