What are my rights if I co-own a house with my ex but I’m not allowed to live in it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I co-own a house with my ex but I’m not allowed to live in it?

I bought a house and put mine and my girlfriend’s names on the deed. I was removed for domestic abuse and she now lives there. I paid $100 of the cost of the house. Can I get her out of the house or get her to pay me the value of the house? I was removed 7 years ago.

Asked on March 18, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Maine


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A co-owner of property can force a sale. In cases in which joint owners cannot agree as to ownership matters, the party who wants to sell can go to court and file for an action in “partition”. This is a legal tool used in this type of situation. 
A partition of property can be accomplished either by its physical division, if practical, or by a sale. In the case of a single family residence, physical division isn't possible so a "partition by sale" will ordered.
Once the property is sold, the proceeds are equitably distributed to the owners. That having been said, the court will first permit the owner who does not want to sell, the right to purchase the interest of the other co-owner for fair market value.
It should be noted, however, that filing for partition is costly and time-consuming. Try to explain this to your ex-girlfriend. Also, at this point, you may want to consult directly with a local real estate lawyer; they can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption