How to stay in the US legally?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to stay in the US legally?

I changed status from E2 dependent to F1 2 months ago because I wanted to finish school and my E2 was expiring due to the fact I turned 21 about 2 moths ago. I haven’t registered for classes yet (they start at the end of next month). I just got engaged and want to delay school; I plan to marry in 3 months. How can I stay here legally or is there a change of status I need to do?

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You may try and change to a tourist while you wait to get married. However, the better option would be to marry now and process your green card (assuming your fiance is a US citizen). However, most I-539 applications are taking about 3 months. So, you may get an answer on the F1 very soon.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption