If a car finance company has a judgement for nonpayment, what assets can they take?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a car finance company has a judgement for nonpayment, what assets can they take?

I have another car but it has a lien (by another company), can they take it?

Asked on August 23, 2011 Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a judgment against you for a credit card debt, the judgment creditor can levy upon your bank accounts and/or garnish a percentage of your wages of your pay check each week until the judgment is paid off in full which include all allowable cost and accrued interest upon it.

Most states have exemptions against the levy of automobiles worth up to a certain amount as part of the levy process. You need to do some research as to your state's laws as to what is subject to a levy for a judgment collection and what is not. Depending upon the amount that your vehicle is worth, it may or may not be an item that would be allowed to be levied upon.

If you can make monthly installments to pay down the judgment through a written agreement with the judgment creditor that would be a good way to resolve this debt.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption