If Icame home to a foreclosure notice on my door of my rental, what are my options?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Icame home to a foreclosure notice on my door of my rental, what are my options?

I moved in 3 months ago and I have paid all my rent on time every month. I did not pay a deposit. I don’t have a paper lease that I signed. I have a verbal month-to-month agreement with the landlord. Dumb on my behalf but he is a bishop and I figured I could trust him. I make about $1000 a month. At this point I am broke because of Christmas and rent. I don’t know what to do and the landlord is of no help. When I talked to him, he told me he got the first notice of forclosure 7 months ago. He said that I need to keep paying him rent and be moved out by the 18th of next month. Is what he did legal?

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under 2010 federal law, even though you are in a rental that is subject to a foreclosure, so long as you continue to pay the landlord rent on a month-to-month basis and he does not terminate the lease on you by giving you 30 days notice you can remain in the unit for up to 90 days after the new owner takes possession of the unit post foreclosure.

Under federal law, you would be entitled to remain in the rental post foreclosure so long as you are current on your rent for up to 90 days. 90 days is the required notice to terminate your lease by the new landlord who received title post foreclosure.

I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your situation if you have further questions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption