If I brought a house 30 years go with my parents and now that have both died, how do I remove my name off the deed?

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I brought a house 30 years go with my parents and now that have both died, how do I remove my name off the deed?

About 39 years ago, I brought it house with my parents and both parents has died and the house is paid for. I tried of my brothers and sisters saying I have no say so and they are doing whatever they in the house and not including me. How do I get my name off the deed and let them have the house?

Asked on September 24, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A quitclaim deed will release your entire right, title, and interest in the house to your brothers and sisters.
The quitclaim deed is signed in the presence of a notary with you, your brothers, and sisters present.
After being signed in the presence of a notary, the quitclaim deed becomes effective upon being recorded (filed with the County Recorder's office).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption