What to do if I broke my ankle at my residence and I am working with my landlord’s insurance company to get compensation?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I broke my ankle at my residence and I am working with my landlord’s insurance company to get compensation?

They’ve offered me my medical bills and wages but no pain and suffering. Should I ask for 2 times my medical bills?

Asked on April 11, 2013 under Personal Injury, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There isn't any mathematical formula for determining compensation for pain and suffering.  Compensation for pain and suffering just depends on the nature and extent of your injury as documented in the medical reports.  A broken ankle should receive more compensation than a sprain as an example.  If you have fully recovered without any complications or residual problems, I would ask for quadruple the medical bills to compensate for pain and suffering, but NOT expecting to get that.  This would be a starting point in settlement negotiations.  The insurance company will respond with a much lower offer, and you can continue negotiating to try to get the insurance company to increase its offer.  If the case is settled with the landlord's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.  If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the landlord's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit against the landlord for premises liability.  If the case is NOT settled with the landlord's insurance carrier, your lawsuit must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption