If Ibought the house before we were married, canI kick my husband out?

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Ibought the house before we were married, canI kick my husband out?

The mortgage payments have come out of my husband’s bank account but the house is solely in my name.

Asked on March 11, 2012 under Family Law, New York


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I assume you are going through a separation or divorce.  Unfortunately, your husband has an interest in the house that will require a court order to remove him.  Moreover, because he pays the mortgage, in a divorce, he may be entitled to his share of the increase in the value of the house.    

Nevertheless, at this point, if you are thinking about divorce/separation you can request sole possession in the house because it is a premartial asset.  The court will most likely require him to move out.  However, again,  in the division of marital assets, you may have to pay his share of the increased value in the house.  

It would have been easier if you paid the mortgage and improvements to the house.  However, most time, it just doesn't happen that way after a couple gets married.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption