What are my rights if I bought my house from a contractor that renovated the house after hurricane Katrina but he did not gets permits?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I bought my house from a contractor that renovated the house after hurricane Katrina but he did not gets permits?

I bought my house 1 and 1/2 years ago from a contractor. I did my general and plumbing inspections on the house and was told all was good except for minor things. I closed on my house. One week ago I got a note on my door saying that I failed to get a final shoring inspection. I called and at first they said it would not be that big of a deal. They would just come out and see the property and give it an OK. After they researched it though they told me a plumbing permit was never done. Now I do not know if he got permits for anything. What can I do?

Asked on August 19, 2011 Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the work done on your home was done by a licensed contractor without the required permits, the contractor is responsible for all problems resulting from the absence of required permits concerning the improvements he or she did as to your home.

You just found out about the problem and potentially any applicable statute of limitations issues have not started running due to the delayed discovery of the problem.

You should call and write the contractor that did the work about what you discovered keeping a copy of the letter for future use. The contractor needs to be advised that he needs to rectify the problem immediately at his or her own cost and you need a written response as to intent by a certain date.

If you do not receive such, you need to contact an attorney practicing in contsruction law. Bring all documents concerning the work of improvement by this contractor including the contract with you to the meeting with the attorney.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption