What to do about a potential lien?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a potential lien?

I bought a house just over a year ago which needed some septic work. As part of the closing agreement, I was to pay half of this bill ($475) and my real estate company was going to pay the rest ($454). I paid my portion back a little over a year ago; the other portion has not been paid and he keeps giving excuses on why. The plumber says that in order to do anything they will need to put a lien on my house. The plumber and myself do not want this to happen, so what do I do?

Asked on January 3, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the work of improvement to your home was done about a year ago and concluded, under the laws of all states in this country it is too late for the plumber to place a valid lien on your home. Rather, the plumber's option is to file an action against you in small claims court for the amount due.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption