If I bought a house but my ex-fiance won’t sign the quitclaim deed to take her name off, what can I do?

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I bought a house but my ex-fiance won’t sign the quitclaim deed to take her name off, what can I do?

I bought a house in June of this year and the mortgage is solely in my name, but the deed was put into my name and the name of my ex-fiance. She has never lived in the home and never moved into the home. She did not contribute to the acquisition of the home in any way financially or otherwise (credit score, income, earnest money, inspection, etc). All the bills for the home are taken care of by me since I have always been the sole occupant. I had a quit claim prepared to get her name off the deed and she refuses to sign it. I was wondering what my options were?

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your former fiance' will not sign a quitclaim deed voluntarily to take her name off title to the home that you are occupying, she is entirely within her rights to do so. The reason is that by you placing her name to the home on a recorded instrument, you "gave" her an interest in the home that she is entitled to keep.

You can offer her some money for a quitclaim to the property back to you. You can file a partition action against her where one person buys out the other or the property is ordered sold. I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney about your situation further and your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption