Is it legal to sell a car with no brake lights because it’s a safety issue?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to sell a car with no brake lights because it’s a safety issue?

I bought a car and the brake and reverse lights don’t work.

Asked on February 17, 2012 under General Practice, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you bought a new car, it is defective and you can probably return it based on that alone. If you bought a used car, there are laws available to you but check with your state about whether this would be categorized under lemon laws, minimum warranty laws or minimum safety laws concerning vehicles that are inspected and road drivable. You need to check with your department of motor vehicles and then check with your local consumer protection agency about what can be done. You should as a reminder always ask for a warranty on such vehicles and get history records on the car and have it inspected by a certified mechanic before you pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption