Can I be made to resign auto purchase papers 2 weeks after I bought my car it?

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be made to resign auto purchase papers 2 weeks after I bought my car it?

I bought a car 2 weeks ago and the dealer called me today asked me to come in and sign 1 more paper something about title but I walked out because they said they gave me the wrong car with the wrong VIN; they tried to make me sign the contract but the price was about $4000 more than the original papers. What happens if I don’t sign and what happens if I return the car?

Asked on October 29, 2014 under Business Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you bought the car cash or already received financing, then you have no reason to return the car. Sounds like this entity is attempting to do a bait and switch.  Contact your DMV and show the title you received and check the VIN number against the car. If everything matches, report this dealership to the agency who licenses it for car sales. If the VIN doesn't match, demand your money back and sue the company for fraud.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption