I borrowed money from my brother-in-law to pay bills. He paid the bills directly. Now he wants to change the agreement.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I borrowed money from my brother-in-law to pay bills. He paid the bills directly. Now he wants to change the agreement.

On January 8, 2018 I entered into an agreement with my ex-brother-in-law where he loaned me money to pay bills while I was on leave without pay from having my daughter.

Our agreement was that he would pay my bills directly and I would pay back half the amount loaned plus interest 3650 to be paid back including interest once I filed/received my tax refund. The remaining amount was to be paid back by helping my sister 37 times. We agreed that I would help on weekends, but not every weekend, and occasionally during the week I am a single mom to a 4 year old and 3 month old.

We both agreed to the terms, and he immediately started paying the bills online. The bills he was unable to pay online he got cashier’s checks.

I started helping my sister on January 12. I have now helped 10 times. On the 24th he texted me ‘due to recent events’ he would need all the money I borrowed 6600 back when I get my refund check. I am unable to pay him back the full amount. What are my options?

Asked on January 31, 2018 under Business Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The agreement you entered into is a contract. A contract may not be changed after the fact unless all parties (that is, you and him both) agree to change it. As long as you have been honoring your obligations, he is not entitled to anything else or any faster payment than the agreement says--your obligation is to do and pay what you contracted to do or pay, when you are supposed to do or pay it, and no more. He cannot make you pay the money faster than the agreement says.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption