What is my recourse if I believe that my uncle’s lawyer who is executor of his estate has stolen money from the account and is mentally unfit to be executor?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my recourse if I believe that my uncle’s lawyer who is executor of his estate has stolen money from the account and is mentally unfit to be executor?

My uncle died 4 years ago. He named his friend who is a lawyer as executor. 1 year ago this lawyer had a stroke and closed his office. Since then I have not spoken with him though I have made repeated attemps to contact him. I have never received any paperwork concerning the estate. I did speak with his secretary who said that the books needed to be redone because there where accounting errors. I also feel that there is a substantial amount of money that is unaccounted for.

Asked on May 17, 2019 under Estate Planning, Idaho


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can bring a legal action in county court (the county in which your uncle resided) for "an accounting": that is, to ask the court to look into the executor and make him "account for" for his handling of the estate (that he has been carrying out the will's instructions; that he has been loyal to the beneficiaries' interests; that he has acted with reasonabler care; that he has not diverted or taken money or other assets to himself; etc.). If the court finds that he has not done his duty, it can order him to do certain things or repay amounts improperly taken and/or replace him as executor. 
This kind of legal action is substantially more complicated than, say, a small claims suit. If there is a "substantial amount of money" involved, it is well worth your while to retain a probate attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption