If I have been fired from my job and still haven’t received my final paycheck, what actions can I take?

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have been fired from my job and still haven’t received my final paycheck, what actions can I take?

Asked on August 26, 2011 Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states, if a person has been fired from their place of employment, the employer is required to pay the employee his or her final paycheck either immediately before the employee leaves the premises as his or her last day on the job or soom thereafter.

In California, the law is that the employee is required to be paid immediately upon termination. If the employee quits the place of employment, payment under Calfornia is within three (3) days of termination of work.

If a significant amount of time has passed since you were terminated from your position, you need to contact your former employer about the status of your final pay check. If the explanation does not meet your satisfaction, you need to contact your local labor department and lodge a complaint against your former employer.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption