How long after an incident can you sue for malpractice?

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long after an incident can you sue for malpractice?

I became ill in about 12 1/2 years ago and went to a hospital. I had a bladder infection and was passing a kidney stone. They gave me Septra for the bladder infection but I believe I had an allergic reaction to it. I have been requesting my medical records for 10 years but have either been ignored or sent the wrong dates of records. Last month I wrote to their customer relations department and finally received what I asked for. From reading over it I think, at least in my opinion, that they didn’t put 2 and 2 together and saw that I was having a bad reaction. I am still left with many problem from this and I guess I am wondering if it is too late to do anything?

Asked on March 25, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Minnesota


Matthew Majeski / Majeski Law, LLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Four years from the date of the incident which triggered the claim.  You could have a Minnesota personal injury lawyer review the file just to be safe, but it looks like you may be out of luck with pursuing a claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption