What to do if I backed into a parked car in a restaurant parking lot?

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I backed into a parked car in a restaurant parking lot?

Both cars have very minimal damage. The car owner’s insurance company has sent me a threatening letter seeking legal action if I don’t contact them with my auto description.

Asked on March 17, 2013 under Accident Law, Michigan


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should obtain a copy of the accident report (if there is one).  Next, contact your insurance company and report the accident.  Your insurance company will contact the owner of the other vehicle and have the vehicle repaired.  In the event that you are sued (for some reason), your insurance company should provide legal representation to defend you; however, most likely, a lawsuit will not be necessary, based on the facts you provided.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption