What are an heirs rights?

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are an heirs rights?

I, as is my niece, are heirs to my grandmother’s estate. My aunt is the executor and she has been selling off assets and giving assets of the estate away to persons not in the Will. She is angry with me and my niece that we wouldn’t sign the Waiver of Notice. My niece recently recieved a letter from her attorney notifying her that the Will be read in court in about 6 weeks but she has not notified me. We cannot afford an attorney. Is there anything within the court that we can do?

Asked on November 27, 2012 under Estate Planning, Alabama


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Obtain litigation probate counsel for the purpose of assisting you to petition the court for the appointment of an independent fiduciary to represent the estate and recover the assets of the estate for distribution pursuant to the terms of the Will, who can be paid out of the assets of the estate. Do not delay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption