What to do if I applied and received a loan for $10,000 from my bank and in turn oan the money to a friend who has stopped paying it back?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I applied and received a loan for $10,000 from my bank and in turn oan the money to a friend who has stopped paying it back?

He was paying the monthly installments for about half of the loan, then he stopped. My bank took all of the money I had in my account to pay on the loan which was about $1,200. I paid the remainder of the loan ($3200.94) to keep my good credit rating and now I want to sue him for my money back. I made this loan and agreement to him in another state, but I’ve moved since then. Can I file to sue him in the state I’m currently living in or do I have to file in where the transaction took place, and do I need an attorney? He lives in one state but he works in another. I do have a signed promissory note.

Asked on January 4, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your friend for the amount of the loan plus interest and court costs.  Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee.  You are the plaintiff.  Your friend is the defendant.  A lawsuit can be filed in the state where the plaintiff resides or in the state where the defendant resides or in the state where the claim arose.

For convenience purposes such as filing documents with the court and court appearances, it would be advisable to file your lawsuit in the state where you currently reside.  Your friend can be served with your lawsuit (summons and complaint) by a process server located in or near the city where he resides.  You can find process servers listed under attorney services in the Yellow Pages or online.

Your lawsuit would be for breach of contract / account stated.  You can represent yourself or you can be represented by an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption