Me and my family members are being asked to take a DNA test for a murder investigation that is going on.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Me and my family members are being asked to take a DNA test for a murder investigation that is going on.

My landlord was murdered in his home and we rent the upstairs apartment.  My son was the only person present in the residence during this crime.   Can I refuse to take test as well as my family?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It depends.  Constitutional issues and case law comes into play here -- i.e., do the police need a warrant to seize this from you or you must simply abide because like fingerprints it is not testimony.

It may simply be to get rid of suspects or samples readily in the landlord's place.

Have you been interviewed?

REMEMBER, the police can collect it without needing you to okay it as long as you leave evidence of your dna somewhere in the public wherein they can simply take the item or swab it.


You are better off consulting with a criminal defense attorney who has experience with the constitutionality of DNA testing and warrants or lack thereof. Try and check his or her record at the New York State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption