What to do about my employer’s shady business practices?

UPDATED: May 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about my employer’s shady business practices?

My employer sales a certain product, some of which happens to be hazardous. When we ship the product internationally, APO does not declare it as being hazardous. The description is “parts” and the customs documents are changed to declare 1/2 the dollar amount than is actually being shipped. Is this illegal? What is the punishment? How do I report this? I do not want to have my name on any of that documentation. Also, when we purchase the product we sell at cost and takes it out of hours worked rather than a deduction, reporting that we are working less hours than we do to save himself taxes?

Asked on May 31, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Ok so you need to report all this as soon as you possibly can. I am assuming that not only are you shipping the hazardous material which you know is illegal, you are most likely improperly handling it in the workplace as well, correct?  You can report the workplace safety issue locally.  Utah has an Occupational Health and Safety Division of the Department of Labor.  Contact them about the safety issue as well as the issue of the improper reporting of the hours worked.   The matter will snowball, so to speak, and once you disclose the illegal shipping practices the appropriate agencies will be alerte.  You could also call your state attorney general's office as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption