If I come into a large amount of money, do I have to pay my ex-husband alimony?

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I come into a large amount of money, do I have to pay my ex-husband alimony?

I am currently unemployed.

Asked on March 30, 2012 under Family Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This is really two issues here.  The first one that must be dtetermined before you ever get to the question of alimony is if the money you receive is considered separate or marital property.  If it is considered marital property it may be divided under the community property laws in your state and alimony may not even be an issue.  But if it is considered separate property then neither diisoon of the funds or alimony come in to play.  In Nevada the right to separate proeprty is statutory, meaning there are actual laws on the books about what is considered separate property. Generally, it depends on the sourcce of the funds.  If the funds are "gift, bequest, devise, descent or by an award for personal injury damages, with the rents, issues and profits thereof," then they are separate property.  Please seek legal help here.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption