Is there any legal action that I can take regarding harassment due to my criminal background?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any legal action that I can take regarding harassment due to my criminal background?

I am unemployed but I do work with a friend of mine on occasion. There is someone in town whom I have had issues with in the past. This person has went as far as to perform a background check on me, and forwarded the information to my friend, just to ridicule him by stating that my friend now hires criminals. I do have a criminal record but my friend was already aware of that. I consider this a form of bullying. I understand that this is not considered slander or defamation because the findings were true. However, I am almost certain that this person’s intent was to make my friend think twice about hiring me for any future work. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on September 8, 2015 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no legal action you may take. Even if the intentions were bad or malicious, if someone has a right to do something, they cannot be penalized for doing it. This person had the right to perform a check on you and to forward the information to whomever he wanted therefore, while he was morally in the wrong, he was legally in the right and you would have no recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption