I am trying to get divorced and she wants me to pay half of the credit card debt. Can she make me?

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am trying to get divorced and she wants me to pay half of the credit card debt. Can she make me?

None of the credit cards are in my name and never where…
She has recently bought a new vehicle…
I got stuck with a house that I owe 60000 on now…
Her name was on the house, but she filed for a quit deed…
Credit card debt is roughly 10000 dollars…
She recently adopted three kids…

Asked on March 16, 2018 under Family Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry.  I strongly suggest that you seek legal help here. Debt incurred during a marriage is considered mairtal debt unless one party proves otherwise.  It need to be proven that the charges were for "marital purposes."  Also, I am concernd about the adoption.  Generally you would both sign the papers so how did this happen?  My concern for you is the child support issue that could pop up.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption