I am the seller of home signed a PS with buyers and want to get out of it.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am the seller of home signed a PS with buyers and want to get out of it.

I am the seller and want to get out of the sale. The buyers do not have financing secured yet and they have until Oct 14. I asked and their broker said they would have their attorney draw up document to proceed with suing for specific performance. What does that mean? Can I get out of the contract at a cost?

Asked on October 1, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Since you have a signed purchase and sale agreement, you will be in breach of contract if you try to get out of it.
Specific performance means the opposing party is seeking a court ruling requiring you to comply with the terms of the contract by proceeding with the sale of the property.
Whether or not you can get out of the contract for a price depends on the opposing party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption