If I’m the power of attorney for my dad and have lost time at work, what percentage of his income I am allowed to charge for my services?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m the power of attorney for my dad and have lost time at work, what percentage of his income I am allowed to charge for my services?

I have recently taken multiple days off of work to take him to specialists, help him file for divorce, and find an apartment. My work does not offered any paid.time off. I can’t afford to keep doing this.

Asked on January 5, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Although I do not practice law in California, I assume California does not prohibit a relative power of attorney from receiving payment for services.  Florida law expressly authorizes such payment but does not prescribe the amount.  Professional fiduciaries (people who serve as guardians & representatives for a living) often charge $60 - $120 per hour or more for their services.  When preparing contracts for family members to serve in this capacity, Florida lawyers often allocate approximately $45 per hour for services.  You can also call some geriatric care managers in your area to find out what they charge and then charge your father a similar rate for similar services.  You can also call an Elder law attorney in your area to ask if there is any prohibition against a son charging his father for these services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption