What to do if I am the plaintiff in a case against the US in a federal district court and am representing myself?

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I am the plaintiff in a case against the US in a federal district court and am representing myself?

Recently I have made several motions that the court has been completely silent on. I filed the motions approximately 30 days apart. How can I get the court to break silence and rule on the motions and how long should I wait until I do it? I have been looking into interlocutory appeal but I am looking for advice.

Asked on December 13, 2013 under Business Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should call the judge's law clerk and ask about what is happening and why there has been no action. It may be that you did something procedurally wrong, so the motions have not been properly filed for action--or even that you sent them to the wrong address, or used the wrong docket number (so they would not be associated with correct case), etc. If you don't have a specific judge assigned to the case, try calling the main customer service number--or better yet, go into court and ask in person (you're more likely to get a quicker, more helpful answer is show up in person). Usually, when nothing happens, it's do to some procedural defect.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption