If I’m the executor of my mother’s Will, do I need to file any documents with the courts, and if so, which ones?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m the executor of my mother’s Will, do I need to file any documents with the courts, and if so, which ones?

I am 1 of 3 children. The estate value is $56,000, just cash and 1 ring.

Asked on August 25, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


M.H., Member, California Bar / M.H., Member, California Bar

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under California law, a custodian a person in possession of an original will must lodge the will within 30 days of the decedent's death and in the local county court where the decedent was domiciled.  The lodging fee is approximately $50.
If the probate estate is less than $150,000, then you can simply fill out a Cal. Probate Code 13100 affidavit to collect the cash and personal belongings.  In other words, there is no probate.
I hope I answered your question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption