How can I get a life insurance policy to be paid out to an estate instead of an ex-wife?

UPDATED: May 10, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 10, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a life insurance policy to be paid out to an estate instead of an ex-wife?

I am the executor of an estate. I have recently found out that the ex-wife of the deceased person is still a beneficary on a life insurance policy.

Asked on May 10, 2013 under Insurance Law, Vermont


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can't do this, unfortunately. A life insurance policy is a contract: the proceeds are paid as directed in the policy--that is, to the named benefiary. Had the decedent wanted, he could have changed this while alive, since a person may change his beneficiary (or cancel the policy) at will; however, since he passed away before doing this, the proceeds will be paid as the policy directs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption