If I’m17 years old and I had sex with my boyfriend who is 20, can my parents still sue him for statutory rape after I turn 18?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m17 years old and I had sex with my boyfriend who is 20, can my parents still sue him for statutory rape after I turn 18?

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your parents cannot sue your 20 year old boyfriend for statutory rape if you have sex with him when you are under 18 years of age. Your parents could make a criminal complaint with the district attorney's office about possible sexual relations between you and the boyfriend where the district attorney's office could decide whether or not to file a criminal complaint against the boyfriend for statutory rape.

If you turn 18 years of age and are still with your boyfriend, I see little chance of the district attorney's office filing charges against him for stautory rape for actions when you were a minor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption