I am self employed as an owner operator of an 18 wheeler and was not paid for a job?

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am self employed as an owner operator of an 18 wheeler and was not paid for a job?

I have a signed trip lease agreement with an agent for a trucking company. I worked a full week and earned $1200 and they are not paying me. What can I do about this. The agent that signed the trip lease agreement said that their corporate office is not paying for the loads I moved because I was not approved by them but the agent signed my agreement for those loads. I keep hearing excuse after excuse on why they can’t pay me. Is there any legal action that I can take?

Asked on March 21, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you are to be paid for your profit and costs. You need to understand that this company hired an agent and the agent signed the lease agreement. You need to sue both the company and the agent and contact the insurance company and explain you need to be paid. You may need to contact your insurance company and see if it offers legal representation for you or if you can file a claim with it for monies owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption