If I’m a nurse and am required by my employer to transport a client in my personal vehicle, should I do this?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a nurse and am required by my employer to transport a client in my personal vehicle, should I do this?

What is my potential liability?

Asked on October 1, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your potential liability is if the client is in any way injured in your vehicle due to your driving carelessness (e.g. if you cause an accident), lack of vehicular maintenance, or because (given the client's medical condition) it was inappropriate or risky to transport him/her in your car, you could be liable for any and all injuries, harm, or costs you cause the client. This is potentially very risky for you. And most likely you would not be covered by your present auto insurance, since that insurance is almost certainly for non-commerical/non-business use of your car--you would need different or addtional insurance to cover this activity.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption