What to do about a rent increase?

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a rent increase?

I am renting an apartment. When I first moved in, the rent was $1120 a month. Then raised 3% to $1153. During that year I agreed to pay an additional $75 a month for a parking spot but this was a verbal agreement made months after the new lease. Can my landlord make the next 3% raise on the $1228 or should it be on the $1153?

Asked on October 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unless your municipality has rent control or stabilization ordinances (and if it does, you need to review them to answer this question), you landlord may certainly make the next increase on the current rent--which is also the most common way to do any increase like this. (E.g. Social Security cost of living increases are based on current year payments, not some prior base year; when you get interest on a bank account, it's on the total amount in the account, including any prior interest left in the account; etc.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption