If I am renting a room, can my landlord tell me what possessions I can keep in my room?

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am renting a room, can my landlord tell me what possessions I can keep in my room?

My landlord told me I could not keep my bicycles in my room.

Asked on December 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your landlord can tell you what possessions that you can keep in a particular room in the rental, however if the presumed written lease that you signed has no restrictions as to what you can place in certain rooms, then you can place your possessions wherever you want.

I suspect that you landlord may have concerns about gear oil or grease from your bicycles damaging the assumed carpet in your room that you are writing about. I suggest that you have a face to face meeting with the landlord to try and resolve his or her concerns about your possessions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption