What is a wife entitled to after almost 7 years of marriage?

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a wife entitled to after almost 7 years of marriage?

My husband acquired our family home prior to marrying me. Title was in his name and after we were married he signed a quit claim deed to us as husband and wife. However now he has said I don’t get anything or have an interest in the house or property. We have been married 6 years and 11 months. Is this considered a short-term marriage in my state? He says I won’t get any of his retirement, social security, home/land, or anything because we haven’t been married long enough.

Asked on October 10, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry or your situation.  You are going to need legal help in your area to handle this.  You live in a community property state and assets that are considered marital assets are split generally 50/50.  Now, the first issue for the courts to determine is ifan asset is separate or marital property.  I would say that for at least the last 7 years and continuing that house is a marital asset. Although it started out as separate property there was a clear intention of your husband to make it a marital asset when he added your name to the deed.  He may be able to make a claim to reimbursement for the down payment but that will remain to be seen.  Next, his pension or other retirement plan that accrued money during the marriage is a marital asset. So there you have 7 years of that.  Everything needs to be reviewed here. Please get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption