If I amPOAfor my aunt who passed away and she was in a nursing home for 2 weeks prior, can it successfully sue for the bill?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I amPOAfor my aunt who passed away and she was in a nursing home for 2 weeks prior, can it successfully sue for the bill?

There is no estate. After she left the nursing home she died. She is on Medicaid and only received social security. The nursing home is sue me. Am I liable? 

Asked on January 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you solely were the attorney in fact for you aunt who has passed away leaving no assets in her estate, you are not personally liable for her debts under the power of attorney that you are writing about unless you personally signed a document stating that you would be liable as a co-signer.

From what you have written the nursing home's legal recourse for any unpaid bills of your aunt would be to seek payment from Medicaid, not you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption