If my husband died, amI responsible for medical bills and can my bank account be frozen?

UPDATED: Feb 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband died, amI responsible for medical bills and can my bank account be frozen?

He was 64 when he died; had taken early retirement; also working part time. Insurance did not pay all of his bills. He did not own anything and the checking account is in my name. I am disabled and my disability check goes to the bank.

Asked on February 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

VA law makes spouses jointly and severally liable for emergency medical treatment, including follow-up inpatient care during the initial emergency admission, received by either spouse from a physician or a hospital, so long as they are living together.  However as to non-emergency care, unless a spouse specifically agreedto be responsible (by singing a contract or the like), a surviving spouse in not personally liable for such debt.

Note:  The deceased spouse's estate remains liable.  So indirectly a survivng spouse may be affected.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption