If I hired a guy to lay a concrete patio but he hasn’t showed up for 11 days and just keeps dragging me on, what can I do?

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I hired a guy to lay a concrete patio but he hasn’t showed up for 11 days and just keeps dragging me on, what can I do?

He won’t answer my phone calls but he does text me randomly. He always has an excuse, health, car, etc? I’m not sure what to do I did tell him I’d like my money back (which I don’t believe he has). I have also said I was contacting an attorney and local news station that does follow up on this kind of situation. I am not sure what to do though.

Asked on June 22, 2015 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If the contract with him had a completion date and he's missed it, you can sue him to recover your money if he won't return it. If there was no hard-and-fast date, send him a letter, sent some way or ways you can prove delivery, re-stating the time line (i.e. how long it's already been) and giving him some reasonable time (e.g. 10 - 15 business days) to do the work; the letter should state if he does not do the work by then, you will consider him in breach of contract and expect your money back. If he misses the deadline and doesn't return the money, you should then have the basis to sue him for it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption