If I am not on the lease but pay rent, can my girlfriend put me out?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am not on the lease but pay rent, can my girlfriend put me out?

I just paid rent for both this and next month.

Asked on April 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, District of Columbia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are not on the lease but presumably your girlfriend is, then you are effectively a subtenant of hers--that is, you are subleasing from her (the tenant with right of possession), even if mechanically or procedurally, she has you pay the rent directly to her landlord. That would make you a subtenant under an oral lease; as a subtenant, your tenancy can be ended by your girlfriend on 30 days notice. Therefore, she could give you one month's notice to leave; if she has already accepted rent for next month, then the notice would in practice be for the month after that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption