I am not getting back my earnest money deu to homeowner backed out

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am not getting back my earnest money deu to homeowner backed out

The homeowner changed his mind and he didn’t show up on closing date and when I asked about my earnest money which is $5000/- he sent me a legal notice saying that I am threatening him. What should I do to get problem resolved?

Asked on August 18, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Sue him. If the seller (homeowner) backs out of the sale, he MUST return the earnest money--he has no legal right to keep it if he does not sell you the house, and is in "breach of contract" (which is what you would sue him for) by not going through with the sale as required by the contract or agreement. The way you legally and properly get money from people who owe it to you is to sue them for the money. In the lawsuit, you could also sue for other costs you incurred due to him backing out of the sale, such as if you expended money  on an inspector.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption