i am legal married in my country, Philippines and we work my togerther my wife in Saipan, Northern Marianas Island, USA territory, my wife is planing

UPDATED: May 23, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

i am legal married in my country, Philippines and we work my togerther my wife in Saipan, Northern Marianas Island, USA territory, my wife is planing

to devorce me here in saipan, we work her as a contrac worker, in my country no devorce law, can my wife aply devorce her?can i tell to the court that our married is ing my country, how if i dont like to sign the devore papers? what can i do i dont like to devorce my wife? can i complain to the court that this our problem is the philippine court, juresdiction, not her because we married in our country

Asked on May 23, 2009 under Family Law


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Where people from different countries get married, and one or both then choose to reside in another country, the procedures for divorce can become significantly more complicated.  Although most countries make divorce possible, the form of settlement or agreement following divorce may be very different depending on where the divorce takes place.  In some countries there may be a bias towards the man regarding property settlements, and in others there may be a bias towards the woman, both concerning property, and also custody of any children.  One or both parties may seek to divorce in a country which has jurisdiction over them.  Normally there will be a residence requirement in the country in which the divorce takes place.

You need to speak to an attorney that practices law in the country where you reside.  He can best advise you of you rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption