What to do regarding a claim for money due following an auto repossession?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding a claim for money due following an auto repossession?

I am involved with a special civil part claim against a bank. My car was repossessed under circumstances generating from “contra preferentem”. The vehicle was sold without a notice of sale, which is a violation of state law. They claim a deficiency balance of approximately $13,000, generating from the salel I claim damages of $15,000, the amount they obtained for the car at auction. The lawyers just called asking me to settle by “bringing all claims to zero”. On all counts, contract confusion, debt amount, and violating this statute the bank has contraindicated themselves. What do you think my next move should be?

Asked on September 6, 2012 under General Practice, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that since the lawyer for the lender is contacting you to try and resolve the competing claims with respect to the repossession of your vehicle that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to discuss the matter and go over your legal options so that you do not end up on the short end of the deal.

Make sure that you bring all paperwork that you have as to this claim so the consumer law attorney can evaluate things from a point of liability and damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption