If I’m having my car repaired and was told that it would take a week and a half but has now been 6 weeks, what can I do?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m having my car repaired and was told that it would take a week and a half but has now been 6 weeks, what can I do?

I have called every few days. I am also concerned that they may try to charge more than the $1500 that I was originally quoted.

Asked on May 29, 2012 under General Practice, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to involve the police perhaps. Go back and explain that this is absolutely wrong, it is a breach of their contract with you and you want your vehicle back. Indicate you did not authorize 6 weeks of work and explain that you will take your vehicle to another mechanic. Involve the police if you are nervous about going alone.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption