If entered the US with an ESTA which was good for 90 days but it’s been over for 1 1/2 years, do I need a lawyer to get my green card?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If entered the US with an ESTA which was good for 90 days but it’s been over for 1 1/2 years, do I need a lawyer to get my green card?

I am foreigner who was married to an American citizen for 8 years I had my green card but after the 2 years we did not have the chance to get my permanent card because of my husband’s job (Afghanistan-army base). Since he was working overseas I did not need my green card at that point. Then our marriage went bad and we got divorced. We have an 11 year old daughter under my full custody who has dual citizenship. My daughter and I moved to the US. I have a fiance and we would love to get married. How long does the green card process take? Am I safe during the process? I have a business here and my daughter is in school here.

Asked on September 12, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

So, do you mean that you entered the US after you got divorced as a ESTA and it has been more than 1.5 years since then?  In that case, you can get married to a US citizen and adjust status but it would probably be best to consult with an attorney before you start the process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption