I am facing charges of 2 counts of credit cardfraud in Jackson County MS. If I am committed what happens to the charges?

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am facing charges of 2 counts of credit cardfraud in Jackson County MS. If I am committed what happens to the charges?

This is my 1st offense on this charge. I am a convicted felon for prescription forgery. My dad and I are addicted to Oxycontin and xanax. I suffer from Mental PTSD, Depression, and suicidal tendencies. If I am committed what will happen to these charges? Can they be dismissed. I need professional help and rehab. Do I need an attorney before being committed?

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you are a danger to yourself right now, that has to be your first priority;  you need to sign yourself into the hospital on a voluntary commitment if that's what it takes for you to be safe.

Getting an attorney first isn't a bad idea if you can afford it and make it happen quickly enough, but I doubt that it's essential.  Most mental hospitals and psychiatric units have social workers on staff who are used to dealing with getting court cases postponed for the patients.

While you're in treatment, please don't let embarrassment stop you from telling your doctor and therapist about the criminal charges.  While your illness or illnesses don't excuse what you did, they are reasons for a court to look at you as something other than a bad person.  Dealing with your mental illness and getting help, also, will not hurt you in most judges' eyes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption